VISAKHAPATNAM

Heritage Sites

google-earth-logoView Heritage Sites on Google Maps
Pandrangi

Pandrangi

Pandrangi is the birth place of Sri Alluri Seetarama Raju the brave son of India who laid down his life to free mother India from the oppression of the British. He was born on 4th July 1897.

Pandrangi
Padmanabham

Padmanabham

Ananta Padmanbhuni Temple

Padmanabham
Andhra Baptist Church

Andhra Baptist Church

Canadian Baptist Mission (CBM) started an Anglo-Vernacular School which was inaugurated by the then Collector Arthur Freeje in 1836.

Andhra Baptist Church
Appikonda

Appikonda

Western Chalukyan Military officers conquered Appikonda Area in 1356

Appikonda
Bojjannakonda

Bojjannakonda

Bojjannakonda is the Buddhist rock-cut cave on hillock, situated near a village called Sankaram, which is a few kilometres away from Anakapalle. The site is believed to date between 4th and 9th Century A.D

Bojjannakonda
CBM High School

CBM High School

Canadian Baptist Mission (CBM) started an Anglo-Vernacular School which was inaugurated by the then Collector Arthur Freeje in 1836

CBM High School
Ross Hill

Ross Hill

Our Lady of Sacred Hearts Church (Ross Hill) or Hill Chapel is the shrine situated on a hilltop dedicated to Lady of Immaculate Conception

Ross Hill
Collector\'s Office

Collector's Office

The Collectorate Building is a fabulous stone structure in which symmetry, balance and rhythm co-exist. Access to the Collectorate is through a defined perspective. The structure is E-shaped in plan.

Read More
Collector's Office
Daspalla Palace

Daspalla Palace

Daspalla Palace also known as Surya Bagh Palace is a split-level rambling palace of Dutch architecture that has a ballroom dance floor and was built before 1859.

Daspalla Palace
District Court

District Court

District Court building was constructed in 1931

District Court
DSP Building

DSP Building

DSP Building at Narsipatnam

DSP Building
European Cemetry

European Cemetry

European Cemetry present in Old Town has grave stones bearing inscriptions ranging from 1699 to 1833.

European Cemetry
Governer\'s Bunglow

Governer's Bunglow

Governer's Bunglow - constructed in 1931 and it was then known as the Judges Bungalow, as circuit judges would come and stay during their tour. Currently housing VVIPs during their visits to Visakhapatnam

Governer's Bunglow
Hawa Mahal

Hawa Mahal

Hawa Mahal was constructed between 1910-1920. The owner of this building was Maharaja Ramchandra Deo of Jeypore. It was built as a summer resort for the Maharaja of Jeypore, Orissa.

Hawa Mahal
Hindu Reading Room

Hindu Reading Room

The Hindu reading was originally housed in a small, dilapidated building. Sir Gode Narayana Gajapathi Rao, ruler of Anakapalli,

Read More
Hindu Reading Room
Ishaq Madina Dargah

Ishaq Madina Dargah

Ishaq Madina Dargah was constructed in 13th Century on the hillock (Ross Hill)

Ishaq Madina Dargah
Thomas (Judge\'s) Folly

Thomas (Judge's) Folly

Thomas (Judge's) Folly on the Hill Top Road, currently known as Kailasagiri, was the abode and residence of John Reid Thoms, a Scottish judge of the Vizagapatam district, in 1830s.

Thomas (Judge's) Folly
Kalyanapu Lova

Kalyanapu Lova

Kalyanapu Lova

Kalyanapu Lova
Kanakamahalakshmi Temple

Kanakamahalakshmi Temple

The locality where the Kanaka Maha Lakshmi Temple is located is called Burujupeta since it was near Buruju of the Fort of the then Rajas of 19th-20th century.

Kanakamahalakshmi Temple
King George Hospital

King George Hospital

The present King George Hospital was started as a Civil Hospital in 1845 and in 1857 first Hospital Block was constructed with the donations from Maharajas of Vizianagaram and Bobbili and Godey Family

King George Hospital
Kuruppam Monument

Kuruppam Monument

Known as symbol of love and the Taj Mahal of Visakhapatnam, the Kurupam Monument was constructed by Raja Vairicharla Veerbhadra Raja Bahadur

Read More
Kuruppam Monument
Kottur

Kottur

Kottur

Kottur
Kuruppam Market

Kuruppam Market

King Edward VII Market also known as Kuruppam Market was constructed in 1893 by Rajah of Kuruppam and gifted on the occasion of the King's coronation ceremony in 1913

Kuruppam Market
Light House

Light House

Light House was established in 1903 on the shores of Bay of Bengal near East Point area in a walled compound. This cylindrical structure was constructed of stone masonry as a multi-storey tower.

Light House
Light House

Light House

Lighthouse originally erected in 1847 at Chintapalle was dismantled and reconstructed in 1902 by the bay side near St. Aloysius School in One Town area.

Light House
Madugula Fort

Madugula Fort

Madugula Fort of Vaddadi Madugula, Visakhapatnam

Madugula Fort
Masonic Lodge

Masonic Lodge

The Masonic Lodge, was built in 1908 and also known as Waltair Lodge-56, is a congregation place for people called as freemasons who believe in brotherhood transcending caste, creed and religion.

Read More
Masonic Lodge
Mrs A V N College

Mrs A V N College

Founded in 1860 Anglo Vernacular School was renamed as Mrs AVN College in 1893 after recieving a Grant of 1 Lakh and a building fund of Rs15,000/- from Ankitam Venkata Narasimha Rao in memory of his wife Acchayyamma.

Read More
Mrs A V N College
Mukherjee\'s House

Mukherjee's House

Mukherjee's House, Beach House

Mukherjee's House
Panagal Building

Panagal Building

Panagal Building (Andhra Medical College) - Raja of Panagal, Panuganti Ramaryanam started the Medical College, Capt F J Anderson as the Principal. The College was affiliated to Madras University.

Panagal Building
Panchadhaarla

Panchadhaarla

Vinnakota Peddanna has written Kavyalankara Choodamani, the first Rhetoric at Panchadhaarla in 1407. Panchadhaarla is situated in the Rambilli Mandal.

Read More
Panchadhaarla
Panchavati

Panchavati

Panchavati, Beach Road

Panchavati
Parthasarathi Temple

Parthasarathi Temple

Parthasarathi Temple in Vaddadi Madugula

Parthasarathi Temple
Kasimkota Zamindar

Kasimkota Zamindar

Kasimkota Zamindar House, Beach Road

Kasimkota Zamindar
Queen Mary\'s School

Queen Mary's School

Queen Mary's School was built in 1750 and funded by the Godey family. It was later in 1913 it was converted as a school for noble cause to educate young widows.

Read More
Queen Mary's School
Queen Victoria Statue

Queen Victoria Statue

The pavilion was built in One Town area and a bronze statue of Her Majesty Queen Victoria of England donated by Sri Ankitam Venkata Jagga Row,

Read More
Queen Victoria Statue
Railway Guest House

Railway Guest House

Railway Guest House was constructed by the Dutch in 1892, the building is rectangular in shape overlooking the bay. The building laid out as a two-storied structure in stone masonry fortified with buttresses.

Railway Guest House
RCD Hospital

RCD Hospital

Rani Chandramani Devi (Rani of Chamudu) House in China Waltair was constructed in 1919.

Read More
RCD Hospital
Regimental Lines Cemetry

Regimental Lines Cemetry

Bishop Spencery consecrated the Regimental Cemetry - Morse Janua Vitae near present Jagadamba Jn. It was in use between 1819 to 1880. Two Collectors John Smith (1824) and William Mason (1834) were buried here.

Regimental Lines Cemetry
Ripley & Company

Ripley & Company

Ripley & Company

Ripley & Company
Ruby House

Ruby House

Ruby House, Opp. Zilla Parishad

Ruby House
Rutherford Guest House

Rutherford Guest House

Rutherford Guest House at Lambasingi

Rutherford Guest House
Satyanarayana Temple

Satyanarayana Temple

Satyanarayana Temple on the KGH Hill Top (Isuka Konda)

Satyanarayana Temple
Siva Temple

Siva Temple

Siva Temple, near Daspalla Hotel

Siva Temple
Sivalayam

Sivalayam

Sivalayam in Old Town

Sivalayam
Simhachalam Temple

Simhachalam Temple

Eastern Ganga Rulers have constructed the Simhachalam Temple. 600 inscriptions of post 1098 were found in this temple. Chandanotsavam is celebrated every year on the third day of Vaisakha month.

Simhachalam Temple
St. Aloysius Church

St. Aloysius Church

St. Aloysius Chapel was constructed in St. Aloysius School during 1836-37 using Gothic Architecture.

St. Aloysius Church
St. Aloysius School

St. Aloysius School

St. Aloysius School was started exclusively for Anglo-Indian children. It was named after its Chief Patron.

Read More
St. Aloysius School
St. John\'s Church

St. John's Church

St. John's Church

St. John's Church
St. Mary\'s School

St. Mary's School

St. Mary's School was started in 1913

St. Mary's School
Sun Dial

Sun Dial

Sun Dial was built of on slant top of enablement amidst a garden behind Jeypore Vikrama Deo College of Science and Technology of the Andhra University campus during 1932 to demonstrate the technical prowess of the times.

Sun Dial
Gangavaram Temple

Gangavaram Temple

Temple On Gangavaram Hill

Gangavaram Temple
TLN Sabha Hall

TLN Sabha Hall

A grand building named after the donor Sri Tikkavarapu Lakshminarayana Reddy, a philanthropist and educationist, was constructed in the year 1939 in the Andhra University campus.

TLN Sabha Hall
Town Hall

Town Hall

Victoria Town Hall was inaugurated on the occasion of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrations by Bobbili Raja. It was handed over to Visakha Municipality in 1904

Read More
Town Hall
Treaty Pillar

Treaty Pillar

Treaty Pillar

Treaty Pillar
Turner Choultry

Turner Choultry

A choultry in One Town area mainly to accommodate attendants of King George Hospital patients followed by merchants and travelers was built by 1894 in a site donated by Maharajah Gode Narayana Gajapati Rao.

Read More
Turner Choultry
Upamaka temple

Upamaka temple

Upamaka Venkateswara Temple

Upamaka temple
AU Science College

AU Science College

A large building named after Vikrama Deo, the Maharajah of Jeypore to serve as College of Science and Technology was built by 1932 in Andhra University campus.

AU Science College
Visakha Museum

Visakha Museum

Visakha Museum also known as Dutch Bungalow, a typical "garden bungalow" was constructed during the early 20th century. During 1991, this building was put to adoptive reuse as Visakha Museum.

Visakha Museum
Viswa Priya Function Hall

Viswa Priya Function Hall

Viswa Priya Function Hall, Beach Road

Viswa Priya Function Hall
Vizagapatam Club

Vizagapatam Club

Vizagapatam Club in Old Town near Town Hall

Vizagapatam Club
Waltair Club

Waltair Club

Established in 1883 by the officers of the erstwhile East Coast Railway, East Coast Battalion and other Civilian officers stationed in the port city, Waltair Club caters to the elite of Visakhapatnam.

Waltair Club
Watch Tower

Watch Tower

A lighthouse was erected during Second World War period on the sandy crest of a hilltop in Andhra Medical College campus by the Royal Navy. The facility built of stone as a multi-storey cylindrical structure.

Watch Tower
Amareswara Temple

Amareswara Temple

Amareswara Swamy Temple in Boni of Anandapuram Mandal was constructed in 1350

Amareswara Temple
Ghosha hospital

Ghosha hospital

In 1894 Queen Victoria Ghosha Hospital was established in 2 acres land donated by G N G Raju.

Ghosha hospital
RockCut Arch

RockCut Arch

RockCut Arch

RockCut Arch
Erra Matti Dibbalu

Erra Matti Dibbalu

Erra Matti Dibbalu presents varied landforms such as sand dunes, gullies, buried channels, beach ridges, valley in valley, paired terraces, etc. They also record events of paleoenvironmental/ climatic changes.

Erra Matti Dibbalu
Scandal Point

Scandal Point

Scandal Point

Scandal Point
Potnur

Potnur

Potnur

Potnur
Embarmannar Temple

Embarmannar Temple

Embarmannar Venkateswara Temple in old town

Embarmannar Temple
Venkateswara Temple

Venkateswara Temple

Venkateswara Temple, Ross Hill, Old Town

Venkateswara Temple
Jagannadha Temple

Jagannadha Temple

Jagannadha Swamy Temple

Jagannadha Temple
Old Judges House

Old Judges House

Old Judges House

Old Judges House
Bavi Konda

Bavi Konda

As per its name, Bavikonda is a hill which has wells for the collection of rainwater. Bavikonda Monastery dates back to the 3rd century BCE.

Bavi Konda
Bhimili

Bhimili

Bhimili

Bhimili
Pavurala Konda

Pavurala Konda

Pavuralakonda is the ancient Buddhist settlement estimated to have witnessed human habitation between the 1st century BC and the 2nd century AD.

Pavurala Konda
Salihundam

Salihundam

A historically renowned village lying atop the hill on the south bank of vamsadhara River about 9 miles from Srikakulam town.All of the remnants were built between 2nd century and 12th century reflecting different times

Salihundam
Thotla Konda

Thotla Konda

Thotlakonda's peak activity was between the 2nd century BCE and the 2nd century CE owing to brisk Roman trade and religious missions sent abroad.

Thotla Konda

google-earth-logoView Heritage Sites on Google Maps